Table of Contents
How to Mentally Prepare for Dental Implant Surgery
Preoperative preparation for surgery or simply the waiting time for implantation can provoke anxiety attacks in the patient. This can be dangerous with the operation itself or fear that the anaesthesia will not work, that the implants will be placed incorrectly or they will not take root. People are worried mainly because they do not know absolutely all the nuances of modern implantology. And for the most part, they themselves invent fears for themselves, experience uncertainty in the doctor. Next, we will talk about how to prepare mentally for surgery, stop experiencing stop experiencing unreasonable fear and increase your psycho-emotional mood.
Lack of help (medical or independent) with strong fear during preparation for dental implant surgery causes physical harm to the body. The immune system weakens, hands, head or jaw may shake, breathing becomes difficult, the pulse quickens, blood pressure rises, confusion may appear. All this can lead to the following problems:
- severe tissue damage in the oral cavity when trying to install implants,
- the risk of interruption of the surgery due to a sharp deterioration in health indicators,
- it will be impossible to place implants (at high pressure, “shaking”),
- prolonged bleeding after implantation: in addition, inflammation may begin and severe edema may form,
- poor engraftment or rejection of implants: due to the fact that it was simply impossible to install them correctly (for example, the jaw was shaking) or the patient forgot about oral hygiene, taking medications prescribed by the dentist.
Next, we will talk about how to prepare mentally for implantation, stop experiencing unreasonable fear and increase your psycho-emotional mood.
How to prepare for dental implant surgery
To prepare for dental surgery, the following actions will be useful (they are best done in advance, i.e. 1-3 weeks before implant installation):
Consultation with a dentist or even several in different clinics (then you can stop at the one you like): the doctor will do a tomography of the jaw at the first examination and select several suitable implantation options, explain what additional procedures may be required, how the surgery itself will take place, how long will hurt, what kind of anaesthesia can be used, etc
How to prepare for dental surgery the day before?
Just before the operation, you should not be nervous, watch various videos (how this operation does). And it’s better to do what you love – hobbies, reading books, watching feature films, listening to music, walking in the fresh air, and communicating with nice people.